Sunday, July 4, 2010

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MOM!





Yesterday was my mother’s 60th birthday and to celebrate (after months of her saying she didn’t want to have fuss made) we threw her a surprise barbeque party. Now when speaking about Surprise Parties, there is always one question that everyone asks, “Was the person Surprised,” and indeed Mom was. As we pulled up to my Aunt and Uncle’s house in Connecticut (under the ruse of family get together for the Fourth) who is pulling in right in front of us but our friend Joyce. So this is how it played out…

Mom: Oh look there’s Joyce, wait JOYCE!

Me: Joyce? Nope, I don’t think so

Mom: No look there’s Joyce

Me and Lauren: SURPRISE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The funniest part of this entire exchange is that my poor father wasn’t told about the party because I was scared he’d slip so he was just completely baffled. After that rather odd start to the day, everything ran smoothly and was just one of those days that will always stay with everyone as one of those really great times you never forget.

The barbeque ran long into the night and was a mix of laughter, playing, and tons of desserts but a few things I want to really get into.


FIREWORKS



My Uncle Paul and my cousin’s boyfriend Brian bought fireworks at Costco so that my mom had a personal fire display. They were really beautiful (unfortunately the pictures didn’t come out nearly as good) and all of the children, and kids at heart were having the time of their lives watching them. Half way through, we get word to stop as one of the kids runs over and says, “The police parked in front of the house.” Yes that’s right, the cops came to bust up our party.

All of a sudden everyone is practicing their excuses: “I’m from New York, I don’t know your laws.” “I’m only a kid, what do I know.” “We bought them at Costco, doesn’t that make it legal?” And my personal favorite, “I was kidnapped; I don’t know any of these people.”

After a few minutes (of panic by some of the kids) the police left and we were free to blow up some more. No Po-Po going to ruin our fun!



DJ


DJ is my 13 and ½ year old Beagle and the week before Father’s Day he had a health scare so bad our very reliable Vet told our family to prepare for the end. Then he gave DJ what we now refer to as the miracle drugs and my listless, no quality of life dog is back to puppy form. Going to his first party in quite some time, DJ was the life of the party socializing with everyone, playing with everyone, and running around like he did 10 years ago.

Once he was done, he was exhausted and in the car curled up in a little doggy ball in my lap. It has been a long time since he snuggled up with me like that.

All and all, a great day.




1 comment:

  1. It was a great day! You left out Kristen chucking the chair saying "It deserved it." LMAO

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...