Tuesday, July 20, 2010

French Onion Soup down under style


You may remember, I mentioned here, that I rarely try new food and on the odd occasion that I do, it has either been a sample or from tasting someone else’s. Well last year I spend Halloween week on vacation on Orlando and during a dinner with family at a certain Australian themed chain, I noticed that my Uncle Paul ordered French Onion Soup and it smelled amazing.


“What’s that?” I inquired even though I knew full well and when he explained I followed it up with the subtle hint, “Oh yeah? I’ve never tried that since I don’t eat onion.”


He didn’t get the hint and told me how it was a funny story. He also doesn’t like onions, “can’t have them in anything,” but how, during a stay in Montreal all of his friends loved the stuff, and that on the very last day there, he tried it and has loved it ever since.


“Wow,” I replied, “maybe I should try it at some point then.” I know this sounds rather bunt but my uncle replied, obliviously, “You really should, your missing out,” then proceeded not to offer me any. I would’ve used my own spoon!


Anyway, so not long ago, I had a lunch that offered French Onion Soup as a side option so I tried it and it was pretty good. Then my parents took me to that same Aussie chain for a birthday dinner and I had there version, which is phenomenal.


Now here’s the best part, you don’t have to go to said chain to experience the delicious treat because I found the recipe online and I’m sharing it with all of you.


8 cups water
8 beef bouillon cubes
3 medium white onions
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup heavy cream
1 1/4 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1/4 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Heat the water to boiling in a large pan. Add the bouillon cubes and dissolve. Cut the onion into thin slices, then quarter the slices. Add to the broth. Add salt and pepper.
- Bring the mixture back to boiling, then turn the heat down and simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour. While stirring, sift the flour into the soup.
- Continue to stir if any large lumps of flour develop. Be careful when you stir; aggressive agitation or using a whisk may tear the onions apart. As the soup continues to cook, any lumps should dissolve.
- After 30 minutes of additional simmering, add the cream and 1 cup cheddar cheese. Continue to simmer for another 5 to 10 minutes.
- Serve the soup hot after sprinkling 1/4 cup each of shredded Monterey Jack and cheddar on top.

2 comments:

  1. I HOPE YOU DON'T THINK I AM GOING TO COOK THIS. JUST KIDDING.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds yummy we should make it one day :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...