Saturday, August 7, 2010

Goodbye DJ

January 12, 1997- August 7, 2010



Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge. When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable. All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind. They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.
You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....
Author unknown...


12 years ago, after a ridiculously long half year of begging for a second dog, my parents took me to the shelter to pick out a dog for my birthday present. There was no question that it would have to be a beagle as I had loved a beagle BUNS as a baby so much that, when my parents heard there was a beagle looking for a home when I was in Kindergarten, they knew it was time that I had a dog of my own. That dog was Britney who lived until I (and she) was 11 and a half, before being taken down by cancer. Regardless of how set on a breed we were and how desperate I was for my new pet, I am stubborn so it couldn't be just any beagle.


After spending a good long time with a slow and pudgy 5 year old named Ralf, I was about ready to go home empty handed. The little guy was great but I wanted a playmate and this dude had lived hard. All of a sudden, one of the shelter workers was bringing in a new little guy and that was the moment I fell in love with who will always be the greatest present of my life, a year and a half year old beagle named Oliver.

That's right Oliver, DJ came later. He was so new that he couldn't go home for a week, which would be the day after my birthday, so after probably a half second debate (my dad loved Ralf) two things were decided; my parents were not running around calling out the name Oliver for years to come and also, that the soon to be renamed pup would be moving in with us the night of July 9 after my father got home from work. By the time the day came to pick up "Sandy" I had convinced my parents that Mom and I should get him early so that we'd have all day to get him used to his own home, so that morning we did just that and by the time I got Oliver in the car and got a good look at him I realized he was a DJ and not a Sandy. The name came from a combination of my parents name (Dennis and Jo-Ann) and the initials of my favorite person at the time Derek Jeter, and it fit him to a T. God knows how many times I told him his new name because he responded to it with in a few hours and DJ and I have been together ever since.

As I mentioned in HAPPY BIRTHDAY MOM!, DJ (AKA D, Mr J, Deej, and DJ Fluffy Face) was diagnosed with Cancer in June but had a life extension thanks to some almost magic medicine. When we got back from New Jersey, however, the magic had worn off- he wasn't eating and could bearely walk, basically slowly wasting away right in front of us so today he went to the Vet and died with his decency. Even though the miricle was short lived, I will forever be greatful for the extra two months, especially that day in Connecticut where he acting like my little baby again. That is how I will always remember him, running around crazy, hunting for people food, and wearing his trademark smile. We had so many times like that and those memories will never be gone, so really neither will he.


I'm not going to clutter this up with a million pictures and memories but I do have to leave a few.


EPIC SWAN BITCHSLAP

Of all the great things DJ did and was, the thing that we probably talk about the most is this. When he was young we would always go for hikes at a local park that had a lake filled with geese and swans. One day, while my father and I were feeding the birds while DJ stood a great distance away, he decided he wanted to check out the situation. I think he wanted to play with the birds (though he was a hound by nature, he was a show dog by birth right and didn't have a hunter's instinct in him unless the victim was medium rare) while my father thinks he wanted some bread but whatever led him to do it, DJ made a bee line down the hill and right over tothe pound where a Swan (the only one not to flee to the water) spread open his wings and knocked by poor little boy into the air. He wasn't hurt, obviously, because then it wouldn't be funny.


INDISTRUCTABLE TO A FAULT (in the best way possible)

There have been many times in the last year or two where we thought DJ was near death. He was older and Inflicted with some sort of virus and we would prepare our selves for his impending death only to discover a day or two later DJ back to his old self. There was this one time, when we'd had him for maybe a year, when I had left the garbage from raw chicken where he could get it and he ate half of the container and lapped up all of the blood and he didn't even get sick. Even when he was diagnosed with cancer he seemed to rebound (rally).



JUST A COUPLE PICS

DJ's first Christmas

DJ loved to dress up, but only for me. He would let him put him in anything, leading to epic Halloween photo shoots, but wouldn't wear clothes for anyone but me.



DJ his first week with us next to my last Valentine's Card from him

He was very thoughtful, he never missed a Holiday or Birthday (yes I know it was my mother.) In all seriousness though, he really was. He'd sleep next to my door every night and when I'd go away, would look for me and wait for me to return. I'm done with Beagle because I've had the best one so there is no point.


DJ's baby sister or brother (you'll know soon enough, when I do) will be a totable little baby with a breed not yet decided.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing Elisa. I loved reading all about DJ. He was a good boy and remember he is in a better place. I know how you guys feel I looked for Webster to greet me at the door for a very long time. RIP DJ!!!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...