Thursday, August 12, 2010

Waving the Freak Flag proudly

"STOP TRYING TO BE SO ORDINARY

BE STRONG AND BE BRAVE AND BEGIN YOUR STORY,

CAUSE IT' ALL THAT YOU'VE GOT WHEN YOU MAKE IT IN THIS WORLD"

~So Ordinary



I have always known I was strange or, at the very least, I have known this for as long as I have known anything at all about the world. I suppose a lot of it can be contributed to the fact that I am left-handed. When born as a member of any minority, a person is bound to feel odd. Add on top of that the fact that this particular birth trait means that you are always doing tasks the exact opposite of everyone else and you become even more unique. That is the thing about being a lefty, we look the same as you until there is a task because then everything in your right-handed world is reversed. Still, throwing a baseball or picking up a fork is hardly the extent of my oddities. Rather, I believe, growing up in a backwards world has only taught me to embrace whatever it is, not caused it.


Take for instance, my love of British comedy troup Monty Python. Forget the fact that they are one of my favorite things even though the last thing they ever created together, THE MEANING OF LIFE, came out three years before. The common thought is, females do not like Python. I think it has something to do with the fact that the humor is somewhat misogynistic, I mean female parts were caricatures played by men. Basically woman were slutty tarts or old bags but who cares, it's funny. What people fail to realize is that most stuff created years ago would not be considered PC, and by the way, why do we have to be PC?


Stranger, though, then liking Python is quoting it on public. Not just python mind you, but I do have a tendency to quote things that are funny or randomly burst into my favorite songs while talking with friends and loved ones and if it happens to be while I’m on the streets of new York or a high school hallway (remember I mentioned THE LIME IN THE COCONUT) so be it. Life is too short not to laugh every single time you feel like it.


Having said all this, I must tell you a story that is just so me. Yesterday I was walking in beautiful Hudson River Park with Ms. Baby and Lauren and for some reason I was quoting an obvious Python sketch about flying sheep, complete with hand motions. Just as I was doing that, Michael Palin (known as the nicest Python) walked right by me. Oh, did I mention he was one of the two cast members in the sketch? Living up to his name, Mr. Palin didn't say anything and didn't laugh until I was out of sight.


Do you think this will make me stop the insanity, quite the opposite actually and my advice to you is to get wacky. Life goes by too quick and you get too old to fast; be crazy and always eat dessert.

1 comment:

  1. HE MUST HAVE THOUGHT YOU WERE TOO YOUNG TO REMEMBER PYTHON. I DON'T THINK HE THOUGHT YOU WERE WEIRD. HE PROBABLY FELT PROUD THAT YOU KNEW THE LINES AND DIDN'T WANT TO EMBARRASS YOU BY ACKNOWLEDGING YOUR RECITATION.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...