Monday, August 30, 2010

27 years ago

27 years ago this week marks the beginning of my journey into this world. Friday will be the 27th anniversary of my parents becoming a couple which, had that never happened neither would I have.

My father met my mother when he picked her up one day while he was working as a taxi driver.

Oh did I never mention that my mother was a model with linebacker shoulders and my father was a ‘80s sex symbol? Okay, fine it didn’t happen exactly like that (thank God because who really wants to picture their parents in some of those scene George Michael was acting out?) but I’ve always loved that there was a music video that could be (very very very) loosely based on the way they met because I’ve always thought of those early days as highly cinematic.

After months of traveling together, my father mustered up the courage to ask out my mother (who was a nurse not model by the way) and she said yes. I don’t know exactly what they were planning on doing but when the day actually came around my mother got a call from my Uncle Brian informing her that my father would not be making their date. He was not standing her up; he was quite sick in fact and had been hospitalized. I suppose my mother didn’t think that was a valid reason to reschedule so she went to the hospital and that is where my parents had their first date. When he regained his health they did have a proper first date, followed by more dates, a 15 month engagement, and a beautiful May wedding, all of which could have been ripped right from the big screen but those are stories for another day.

So while my father didn’t have killer abs, skin tight jeans, a leather jacket, or a George Michael perm My mother did lol he did get the girl (and me !) which is more than we can say for the hero in Father Figure.


4 comments:

  1. What a lovely post, I love the picture at the end!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should I think you (or Joyce) took it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol I meant because it was a nice picture of the three of you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great story! Hope they have a wonderful anniversary...
    -Nicole

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...