Wednesday, August 18, 2010

I want to be the girl, boys sing about...

I have written enough “Music Mondays” for this to come as no surprise but I listen to a lot of music and I have realized most of my favorite songs were written about woman and I want to be all of them. It might seem like a lofty goal but I really don’t care. When I was growing up getting paid to write wasn’t considered lofty and look how that's turned out.


Now it's easy to see (assuming you've taken my advice and listened to him) why I would want a Ryan Star song written about me. He wants to be her light in the dark if she loses her way (Last Train Home.) He'll wait for her however long it takes (You and Me.) He would have died for her and will love her all his life (Losing Your Memory.) If she is broken, he will unbreak her (Unbreak.) Furthermore if the lyrics aren't enough, all you have to do is see Ryan with his wife Hallie and you will instantly believe in love and will know he will truly do all the things he's sung.


There are a ton of other artists who sing about this very same kind of love and any girl (or guy) knows that they would be lucky to have it. One of my favorite MWK songs, for instance, is called “Room for Two” and it speaks of how he hopes to "muster up all his courage and tell her all about her beauty and his stupid guitars," but until then he, "won't mention my intention to let you lead me on or how this weakness has me speechless." Admit it; you would die if you knew that was written about you.


So it goes without saying that I would want to be the girl in those songs but those aren't the only kind that exist about woman. Look at "Gasoline" where Burn Halo sings about soaking a collection of photos and an old box of her letters in gasoline and, "burning down down down down, every last memory." Another great example is almost every song that David Cook wrote while heading his first band Axium. They are all about pain and anger and “the last words I’ll write for you, from the start I lost step with you and I see you are far too unlucky for me.”


Why would I want to have that kind of venom spat at me? Well that is simple; to hate that hard and want to destroy so much, you much have loved just as strong as Ryan, just with a sadder end point. You see boys don’t usually do sad well but they can do angry and while I’d prefer the fairy tale ending, if I can’t have happily ever after I will gladly settle for being the one that shattered Prince Charming so that people must wonder, “What did she do to you?” the way I do when I hear Cook’s “The Truth” from his Indie album Analog Heart.


VERSE 1 (sounds like the happy ending song right?)
Two steps removed from everything I thought I knew
There's no remedy
I see your face in every single thing I do
You change me
Your laugh intoxicating
One touch and I'm negating everything around
Take me and I'm yours
I only want you anymore
I kiss the ground



VERSE 2 (Wait what?)
I rest my head from running circles 'round my mind
On why you let go
No answers to be found, romances don't rewind
I guess I'll never know
Why your absence is devastating
No touch to calm my hating everyone around
You leave me when I'm yours
'cause you don't want me anymore
I hit the ground


I guess what it all boils down to is, I want what all girls want, to be the one (or at least the one that all others are measured.) Oh and also, another lesson you can take from all this is, don’t break up with an indie artist who would kiss the ground for you because he could have a platinum record in a year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...