Friday, April 9, 2010

Friday Afternoon Movie

Today my mother and I went to see THE LAST SONG with my friend Lauren. It was a nice, if too rare treat, to hang out with mom on a weekday afternoon. My mother is lucky enough to have a job that she's kept for over a decade and ever since Lauren and I started the nanny job in fall, mom hasn’t taken a "mental health day" to play with me. However, when my boss' mother came in for a visit, giving us a week off, mom jumped at the chance to use a sick day; FUN. The movie was good but I’m not going to use this blog as a review; instead I m using this opportunity to talk about a growing epidemic, old people.

*image Monty Python Flying Circus

Old people have been around for centuries but as technology and the world evolved so did the role of old people. No longer are the elderly confined to staying at home knitting and watching "their stories" or going to senior centers to play bingo and canasta. Today's elderly are quite capable of putting their jitterbug cell phone in their wicker purses and getting on a bus or into their scooters, free to do whatever they please (unless they still drive but don’t get me started on old people behind the wheel.) Today, for instance, a group of old ladies went to the movies. My movie to be exact and they talked through the entire movie.

"Gladice, she's the one from the Hannah Montana."
"Alice, he's handsome"
"Awww they are falling in love"
"Look now the father and daughter are going to fix their relationship"


It was like being in an episode of MYSTERY SCIENCE THEATRE if MST only stated the obvious and did so really, really loudly! Oh and did I mention they snuck in booze (or hooch as the old ladies like to call it.) Now don’t get me wrong, I hope that when I am in my eighties that I still have people to go to the movies with and that I am able to enjoy a drink here and there but its common courtesy to, at the very least, whisper quietly as to not disturb others. If I was the one talking behind them, I would’ve been told off. In fact I once laughed at a comedy and some old ladies yelled at me for being rude and ruining their “cinematic experience.” Still, my mother raised me right so I certainly wasn’t going to tell off a bunch of old ladies with my mother sitting right there.

So please, old people, remember your manners.

2 comments:

  1. That was funny, love the pic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'M GLAD YOUR MOTHER RAISED YOU RIGHT.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...