Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Packing

I tend to be very OCD when it comes to going on trips. You see, vacations are escapes from whatever reality people are dealing with and I like to delude myself into thinking that it'll last forever and for me to be able to do this I need to bring all of the comforts of home with me. If the thought, "I forgot my blue sundress at home" crosses my mind I must accept that I haven’t moved to the beach or taken a job testing out rides at Disney World, which is just unacceptable. Because of this there has to be lists written and reviewed and packing is usually done way in advance. I have been known to pack for New Year's in Florida before the first leaves have fallen. That is usually but, if you haven't noticed, my life of late has been anything but usual.

The Race for Hope is this Sunday and the bus I’m taking departs in exactly 40 hours from the time I’m typing this (noon- it’s another one of those writing it on my phone, don’t know when I’ll post days) and I just now sat down to write my list! You bet your bottoms I’m freaking out a bit. In fact, the only reason I won't be rushing around packing tomorrow night, about 12 hours before departure, is because someone desperately needed a babysitter so I’m working in Yonkers instead of Chelsea and will be able to go home and pack before going to the night job.

I don’t want to forget anything because I hate buying stuff that I have a ton of in my house. I just remembered, while typing this, I need camera batteries- I am a mess. I have my iPod on so I constantly have music pumping into my ears because it's calming. I just need to de-stress so that I can have a carefree time on my mini-cation (ironic that most people go on vacation to get rid of stress and I must get rid of stress to go on vacation.)

I'll just keep reminding myself, it doesn't matter if I forget Tylenol I’m sure there are stores and if I buy something I already own, oh well. The important part is going somewhere new, having a good time, and getting to do something good for the world while I’m at it. I'm sure the survivors that are at the race aren't panicking about if they are bringing enough undies or if they should bring a sweatshirt or just a jacket. They are just happy to be going anywhere that doesn’t culminate in a white light. The fact that I can be bothered by such trivial things is a blessing I suppose and for that, I thank god.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...