Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Thoughts on Breaking Dawn

I know you all cannot wait to hear what I have to say about Breaking Dawn Part One after my last Twilight review. I feel as though I am a truth teller when it comes to this franchise- cutting through the fluff and hype and keeping them honest. The Anderson Cooper of teen lit. if you will.


So the most recent installment center around the marriage of undead Edward (Rob Pattonson) and the freaky mortal girl Bella (played ironically by the pulseless Kristin Stewart) who can't understand the importance of dating a living human. Still the heart wants what it wants so the pair marry and as soon as their honeymoon is over, Eddie-baby will turn her.


Willing to die for the man she loves, yes, but not willing to die a virgin- I can respect that. And as a good Christian girl as I assume Bella is as well (except for the whole no murdering thing and the fact that vampires go against everything Jesus preached) I applaud waiting until marriage view point. Important lesson to teach young girls so I will even spare you my rant about murdering you wife not being a message to send to young people because what the viewer/reader is supposed to take out of it is the promise of eternal love and devotion. My issue with this particular piece of the saga comes from what happens after the "I dos."

No, not the fact that there is no sex scene, only 20 minutes of lead up (teases!) After their sole encounter Bella is preggers, which she explains she didn't know could happen. Can't get pregnant the first time? Sounds like an afternoon special to me. Clearly they are advocating less than safe sex. And I get that the Mormon author would argue that it is okay because of the advocating to wait for marriage but teenagers are smart enough to realize that Bella and Edward might have waited but Rob and Kristin aren't. Why would you chance no playing safe when Human men can give you a disease but you don't even know what can come shooting out of a vampire. Ick.

So baby is on the way and Edward and most of his family want to kill it because they don't know what is to come out but Bella refuses. This is clearly an allegory for abortion. I'm not actually in favor of aborting a baby because it is not perfect but let's not pretend this isn't a pro-life argument. Even when it becomes clear that Bella will die if she goes through with it, she stands strong that baby lives. The baby above all else- sounds exactly like the extreme right wing view point on abortion and I, for one don't think that that should always be the case. It isn't black and white and hammering into the minds of young girls is not okay because most eighteen year old girls don't have the last minute turn to vampirecy option.

Anyway, that is the end of Breaking Dawn until next fall's part two and I don't know the whole story so i can't be sure what i will be sounding off about then but i feel like wearwolf Jacob's being a pedophile could be a big part.

2 comments:

  1. Damn predictive text lol! Great post I love your takes on the Twilight franchise lol.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...