Thursday, May 27, 2010

America's Newest Idol


As I stated yesterday, last night was the season 9 finale of American Idol but truth be told, I had no intention of writing about it.


I still haven’t made up my mind on if I will be returning as a viewer next season. That’ll probably be determined after they announce who will be replacing Simon, assuming they actually replace him and not just go back to a three judge panel.


The performances were good, not great, as were the tributes to Simon, though I refuse to go into details of anything because I refuse to get into the discussion of who should have been there that wasn’t or who didn’t belong. The one exception I will make on this lack of review is to say that it was good to see Bret Michaels come out strumming and singing, “Every Rose Has It’s Thorn” with contestant Casey James. After all the medical drama he has endured in the last few weeks it makes this 80s baby smile to see the rocker turned man-whore for pay, reality show punch line back in good health and remembrance by America as the icon that he is.


So what changed my mind about not writing about the show? Well I felt I should give Lee DeWyze what Fox didn’t, his shining moment. For years the Finale broadcast has been famous for running over time and this season was no difference. However, unlike previous seasons the stations cut off the winner’s song instead of pushing back the following programming by a few minutes. Even though Lee’s single will be a cover (and of U2 none the less) it deserves the same respect as every other coronation song.


Kelly Clarkson had “A Moment Like This,” Ruben Studderd had “Flying Without Wings,” Fantasia had “Believe,” Carrie Underwood had “Inside Your Heaven,” Taylor Hcks had “Do I Make You Proud,” Jordin Sparks had “This Is My Now,” David Cook had Magic Rainbow I mean “Time of my Life,” Kris Allen had “No Boundaries,” and now I present to you American Idol Season 9 Champion Lee DeWyze with U2’s Beautiful Day.:”

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...