Saturday, May 8, 2010

Walking Washington





I am a walker. Yes, I have a license but if I can make it by foot somewhere in 45 minutes or less I will often opt to travel by foot. It must be a New York thing, living where traffic is terrible and a parking space is as valuable as finding gold, tends to make the less stressful act of walking second nature. I walk for exercise, I walk for transportation, and I walk to take in my surroundings. I mean the main reason for my trip was a walk/run for brain cancer and I didn't need to train for it.

I quickly learned that the people of Washington are not walkers. On Friday night, the very nice man at our hotel explained to me that I would not be able to walk from the Washington Monument to the Lincoln Memorial without being exhausted and mapped out a rout involving several metro trains. As you saw in my last post, I managed to survive the journey by foot.

On Saturday, we again went into the heart of DC (arriving around noon) intent on squeezing in as many possible things as we could. First stop was the White House followed by the Smithsonian Museum of American History (which I’ll discuss in detail in a later post.) Lastly we headed toward the Capital building, stopping along the way to take pictures of everything around us (I have obsessive camera disorder) some of which I’ve posted below.



Grant Memorial





Capitol Building




Smithsonian Institute


Tribute to the Bald Eagle park





I have no idea what this building is but i liked it



White House



The beauty of the city speaks for itself.









No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...