Monday, May 31, 2010

Recession proof

As I mentioned in my profile I have a journalism degree. I would love nothing more than to be doing Entertainment Journalism, I feel it is my calling. Radio, TV, print- whatever medium never really mattered to me but it is where I thought I would be at 24. I am, however, fortunate enough to have a job that I love. No, cleaning up baby poop or vomit isn’t what I would dream about after long hours earning my degree, but I work for a wonderful family, who are honestly the nicest people I have ever met and the baby is an angel. I am blessed to have this when most people have a job they hate or no job at all.

That being said, a thought came to me while I was in the bath (one day I will write about this strange phenomenon, I promise but for now go with it): My job is sort of recession proof. I mean look around, there are children everywhere and there seems to be no end of this trend in sight. Somebody has to take care of these children and almost no parents do the job 24/7.

It wasn’t something I thought about when I started babysitting, good lord, 11 years ago because what 13 year old would think of this but, I was building skills (and slowly but surely a resume) that would always provide me work if I looked hard enough. And it is a job where I have never had to answer an ad or post a looking for work sign. Everybody I have ever babysat for was a friend of someone I knew or someone I had already babysat for. That is an oddity and young people should really think about that when looking for part time and summer jobs. Stores and restaurants close, even chains, and there is a lot of competition for jobs but babysitting never seems to. As long as there are children, you will be needed.

Other benefits:

*You make your own hours- you can tell parents that you can only work on certain days, or only nights. Most times they will work around your schedule. When I go on vacation, my families just don’t go out without the kids. In fact, before they plan things they usually ask if I can work before solidifying plans.

*Working nights is an easy shift- children go to bed earlier than other humans. Once they are situated you are basically paid to eat, watch TV, and hang out. Most times when I work I do it as a babysitting team which means, basically a night chilling with a friend, sometimes ordering a movie.

*Job appreciation- Parents love to get away from their children. It’s not that they don’t love them but many people employ a babysitter so they can go do something for themselves. People are happier when they’ve had a good time so when mom and dad get home from date or mom returns from a relaxing day at the spa they are not only happy to pay you, and book you again on the spot, but they sing your praises to everyone they can.


Now that I’ve got you hooked on what sounds like the greatest job in the world, I should tell you there is a downside. Full discloser right? Some people are not great with children. I happen to be wonderful with them which is how so many people have used me and why all of the above exists. Children are the single greatest possession that people have so you must treat them with care. They can get another car or house but there will never be another Meghan or Grace.


So a few things to keep in mind before embarking on this adventure:

*You are in charge- you are the one who has to make sure the kids don’t break bones, puncture themselves, burn anything, ect

*The parents aren’t there- This seems simple enough but sometimes the little ones don’t understand the concept that they will come back. You will have to patiently explain this over and over and over. Side effects include screaming like they are being taken away by child welfare, hunger strikes, and possible physical assault of you. Once they understand you are a friend (and forget why they are sad) everything is okay.

*Children are not difficult- if they are too young to go to school they are babies. When they yell and cry it is because the world as they know it is coming to an end.

*bed time can be a war zone- remember how they forgot mommy left, now they remember: Crying, whining, and kicking. Sometimes you have to lie down with them and sometimes you have to ignore it.


For all of these being loving but not a push over works and in time these problems lessen and sometimes go away. After a while it all becomes second nature and you can tell on tear number one if it’s BS or real.

1 comment:

  1. Great summary of the pros and cons. One more pro is getting to watch them grow up, and it is good pratice for when you have your own. :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...