Friday, March 5, 2010

Reality Bites part I

So it’s Friday and I lack energy to think of a good blog topic. It was between complaining about people who insist we are all going to die in 2012 or talking about Kate Gosselin being on Dancing with the Stars. I decided, since its Friday (and the end of the world idea freaks me out) I’m going to compromise and talk about the end of reality TV as I knew it.

Until recently I only watched three reality shows, Dancing with the Stars, Jon and Kate Plus 8, and American Idol. All of these strangely have a correlation in 2008 so let’s go back exactly two years ago.

One night, while channel surfing I stumbled about a show about a couple with two sets of multiples. Kate was an overbearing wife, Jon was her abused husband, but the stars were 8 adorable little kids (ok technically 7 and Mady.) I immediately set the DVR to tape all episodes and by summer, along with driving my mother crazy, I had caught up on the entire lives of the Gosselin children (you remember them, the ones who Jon and Kate forgot about.) Not long after I had caught up, unfortunately the marriage dismantled and so too has the reality show.

Now all that remains is Kate, who everyone feels sorry for; Jon, who has gone from victim to biggest AHole in the world in the eyes of the media; and enough publicity and money that you would think you were talking about the Jolie-Pitts. Personally I think the kids should actually be given to Brad and Angelina since Jon and Kate are horrible parents and media whore.

Kate’s latest Media stunt, DWTS. In 2008, I really started to love that show because it was about faded stars trying to recapture their former glory. There is nothing like watching former boy-banders realizing that their lives and careers aren’t over just because their voices have cracked. But now the stars are gone. Has-beens are fun but never-wases are not. The point of the show is that we knew these people. It is sad to say the least.

This blog is getting a bit long so the biggest tragedy in the reality world, American Idol, will have to wait for another day.

Nighter…

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...