Tuesday, March 2, 2010

The great Pinkberry experiment

Let’s start at the beginning. I am allergic to yogurt and have been since whenever it was that my mother tried introducing the food to me when I was an infant. I don’t have actual memories of the occurrence or occurrences when I sampled the stuff but from what I’ve been told the result was projectile vomiting to the point where there was no attempts at reintroduction and subsequent warning that I could not eat yogurt.

I am not very good with vomiting, projectile or otherwise so I heeded the warnings and decided that I would live a fine life never eating yogurt and didn’t particularly care if children do sometimes grow out of some allergies. I managed to spend the next 23ish years doing just this until Fall 2009 and my first day of my current job as a nanny. While pushing the carriage around Chelsea I found myself face to face with my first Pinkberry store.

I had heard raves about the frozen yogurt (something I can eat) and had always wanted to try it so I decided to get a trial of original. After one lick I realized however, Pinkberry doesn’t serve Frozen Yogurt but rather yogurt that has been frozen and is served soft serve. I cannot explain to you what the difference between the two is but apparently, there is.

Within five minutes I was in the throws of the worst headache I have ever experienced, with in hours this pain was rivaled with the bloating in my stomach and I spend most of the night running to the bathroom.

FACT: I AM STILL ALLERGIC TO YOGURT

Which bring us to last month. I was getting a sample of the new chocolate Pinkberry for a friend, some got on my hand and I licked it off; No nausea, no vomiting, no running to the bathroom, and no headache. I spent the following week trying to convince myself against my better judgment and all reason that there is something magical about chocolate that cures my yogurt allergy because it tastes amazing.

I know it doesn’t make sense but maybe there is something to this theory and so, like any body who ever took elementary school science I decided I would try it out, complete with the Scientific Method.

Ask a Question:
is it possible that there is something about Chocolate that I the antidote to whatever part of yogurt causes my yogurt allergy?
Do Background Research: The lick, I know it isn’t much but this is one of the rarest of food allergies so there isn’t much out there to help me.

Construct a Hypothesis:
"If I eat Pinkberry Chocolate and don’t get sick, then I will be right."

Test Your Hypothesis by Doing an Experiment:
As this is not a cheap treat and there is the issue that my own body I the test subject I didn’t want to rush into anything so over the last month I’ve done a few sample sizes to make sure I could handle it. Since I haven’t had any side effects I went in for the big test.
Today from 1:30pm until 1:45pm I ate a small cup.

Analyze Your Data and Draw a Conclusion:
Well this remains to be seen it’s been almost an hour and I’m not dead so I think that is a good start.
to be continued…

1 comment:

  1. good luck i hope it doesn't kick in on the train tonight.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...