Thursday, September 29, 2011

Happy International Coffee Day

I have a bit of a love affair with coffee, see here, so it is nice to know that, much like every other possible population on this planet, coffee drinkers have their own special day to celebrate. I could go on about it forever but instead, I thought I'd share this interesting tidbit about where coffee came from, courtesy of the WASHINGTON POST:

According to the National Coffee Association, an Ethio­pian goat herder named Kaldi was the first to realize coffee’s wonders: “It is said that he discovered coffee after noticing that his goats, upon eating berries from a certain tree, became so spirited that they did not want to sleep at night.”

Today, those berries are then harvested and processed, the beans dried, milled and exported, the coffee tasted, roasted, ground and brewed — all to get to that steaming mug in front of you.




Maybe the next time I really need a cup, as the first glorious sips cascade down my throat i should think THANK GOAT instead of THANK GOD.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...