Friday, January 7, 2011

Stomach Flu

Tuesday started just like any other day of work until, about ten minutes after Lauren and I walked in, GiGi projectile vomited from my arms. Within the next 15 minutes she had repeated the feat twice and was splashing around in a bath. Surrounded by her boats and duckies, GiGi was giggling and having a great time, and we had to wonder if maybe, something just hadn’t agreed with her. Two hours of playing later, there was no sign of illness so we thought it was safe to take G out for a walk. She fell asleep almost immediately after entering her carriage and everything was back to normal until an hour later when the little princess woke up suddenly sat up and projectile vomited all over the Old Navy bathroom. It was stomach flu.


The rest of the day consisted of phone calls between GiGi’s mother and her pediatrician, being relayed back to us on what to do and what to expect. By the time the doctor warned that diarrhea was next, it had shown up in abundance, and we were instructed to wash our hands every time we touched a diaper, something we do anyway. Allegedly, the stomach flu is only transmitted through fluids, not air born, which would have been great except that the day before GiGi just happened to have spoon-fed both Lauren and I, some of her food. We were in the danger zone…


By Wednesday night at 6, everything seemed okay. I talked to GiGi’s mother and, not only was G doing better, but nobody around her had shown symptoms. 6 hours later the tables had turned both of GiGi’s parents, Lauren and I had all been taken down by the bug. The night and early morning were filled with hourly runs to the bathroom, by 11 it became every two hours and as the day went on sleep faded in and out, thankfully, to the sound of DISNE/ PIXAR’S UP and by 5:30 last night I was able to hold up my head to eat some soup.


The stomach flu doesn’t only affect your stomach, your entire body aches. Not just aches actually, the pain screams out from muscles you never realized could hurt but at least I survived. There were times when, even though all logic and history proved that I wouldn’t, I was pretty sure I was near death. I lost 2 pounds in 36 hours, and even though I have been dieting almost nonstop for three years, there is no joy in it, no it was worth it. If you haven’t gotten this flu, I hope you don’t and if you do, stay strong.


As one website, where I was looking up treatment put it: you won’t die but you will want to.

1 comment:

  1. That was probably the worst feeling I have ever had in my life. I'm so glad it's finally over, and everything is back to normal.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...