Friday, August 24, 2012

Gigi is three today!!!

Gigi at one

Gigi at two

Below is a hand drawn card that (was made by Gigi's mother Nicole) Gigi gave me for my first birthday with her.  The ball is an inside joke but it's the translation that matters; at not even 11 months Lauren and I might have been Gigi's best friends but by now she truly is one of mine. 

Yes I know, having a toddler for a best friend at my age sounds sad or creepy but she's not just any 3 year old.  She is brave and smart, funny and caring, she always knows when you need a hug and will tell you of you are being rude or selfish or inconsiderate.  Everyday we have dance parties and bake (ok it's fake food but remember I have a gluten issue) and she's always up for shopping or the occasional trip down the block to look for Spiderman- really who wouldn't want to hang out with a chick like her.

I've spent the last two birthday posts talking about all of the things she has learned and she does consistently amaze me in that area that in the rare moment she acts like most people her age I have to remind myself she is acting like a baby  because she IS a baby.  I have also created so many memories in these years it is hard to pick a favorite.  I was there for her first steps and the first time she saw her brother but the one thing I will always hold dearest is the unconditional love that only a child can give you.

Next week G and her family are moving to Chicago and I truly feel like I'm loosing a chunk of my family.  Well not loosing, family is always family and I hope I'm right to speak for her and her parents when I say after these years that is what we are.  Still, the idea of not seeing the four of them 4-5 times a week aches from my heart straight through my skin.

Thinking of all the firsts that are still to come wrecked me when they told us and the idea of not repeating all the milestones with Thomas seemed  heartbreakingly unfair.  As it settled in,  I knew the only unfair thing would be if they stayed here and gave up this great opportunity. 

Yesterday, we sang Happy Birthday as G blew out her candle.  She's visited her family in the Midwest the last two times so this was actually the first of "the new firsts" like the first time I vist Chicago, my first Cubs game, the first time she calls to say she lost a tooth, and God help us all- the possible first time where she calls to talk about boy problems.  

So happy Birthday to the precious creation formally known as Ms. Baby. I love you, that will always be the case and I am not going anywhere.  And to her wonderful parents congratulations on doing such a great job that I might have to move tp Chicago when I have my own babies so you can help raise them and thank you for allowing me into your lives and for promising to let me stay there.


1 comment:

  1. I'm trying to write my own post about G but can't manage to get the words out right. You've summed it up beautifully and I hope I can manage to write my own post before she's 4.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...