Friday, July 27, 2012

The Dark Knight Rises (spoiler warning)

I realize that while I wrote a blog about Batman Begins I've never gone into detail about why I adore The Dark Knight. That said, I'm blogging about The Dark Knight Rises first- if I ever write about it they will then be in ascending order according to my opinion.
It isn't that I didn't like the movie, there was a lot I did but there was also many things I didn't. Remember that I am a Batman fan in the sense that I've seen this whole franchise, the 1960s tv show, the 1990s movies a long time ago. This (along with what I've learned from fanatics) is basically where I've gotten most knowledge. Further, I'm manly concerned with how it fits in the Christopher Nolan franchise and my taste in movies in general.

Dislikes:
1- I feel like the whole Bane plotline wasn't Batman. It was interesting but it seemed like Nolan wanted to make a movie about someone trying to destroy a town, getting help from the unhappy majority. It was a great cautionary tale about if Occupy Wall Street went crazy but Batman was just tacked on to put it in this film. The previous film(s?) did have side action but it never seemed like Bruce Wayne/Batman wasn't essential.
2. It was too loud. Not to sound 90 but i couldn't hear half the dialog. In previous movies the action gets loud but you can hear every word of dialog. Between Anne Hathaway's dainty voice, the swells of music, and Tom Hardy's mask/ weird voice some stuff was inaudible.
3.The absence of the Joker. Along with the reasons I've previously stated, having seen the film it is completely ridiculous. They empty the jail so if The Joker was incarcerated, as apparently every bad guy has been thanks to the Dent Law, why wasn't he released? Just have someone say, "Free everyone but..." They could even say that he left Gothem before luckily, I don't really care but make an illusion because it takes you out of the film.
4. The Dent Law wasn't explained, unless I missed it in a swell of music. They basically say it to explain how Gothem is a peaceful place but not what it entailed. I mean what is it a line? Maybe two?
5. Catwoman is a villain. I get helping Batman to defeat Bane and insure everyone doesn't blow up but don't make them end up as a couple. This made the whole Bruce and Salina thing seem like a twisted romantic comedy tacked on because woman wouldn't want to go with no Ledger.
6. Alfred was bearly in it. This actually made sense in the movie I just don't like that Michael Caine was wasted.

Things I liked:
1: Secret Identity of Joseph Gordon Levitt character. This one is actually kind of both liked and didn't. I love that the whole time you see a character with a secret identity but every clue pointed to him being the Joker however Nolan said he'd never use Robin in his films.
2.Batman dies but Bruce doesn't! I mean everyone thought he'd die to end the franchise and Christian Bale always said he'd never play Batman again. Loophole and actually explained, well done Nolan, you trickster.
3. I did enjoy the Bane movie's plot again it just wasn't good in this movie.
4. The acting continued to be well done which can be rare in Comic Book movies.
5. I like that it was shot in New York City which is good for New York, even though as a New Yorker I will tell you they didn't camouflage it well at all.
6. The truth about Dent is reveled which I like because I hated what he did to poor commissioner Gordon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...