Sunday, June 13, 2010

This and that with a twist

Story time…
Once upon a time (25 months ago) there was a recent college graduate (guess who?) who thought that she would take the summer off before beginning a career in Journalism. Though it would only be a few months, the naïve little blond thought that it would be fun to keep up her writing by starting a blog and she called it thisNthatwithatewist because the blog would be “phantasmagorical mix of all different topics… because quite frankly my interests aren’t just limited to one thing.” She even gave her writing the pen name CHERRYLEMONADE (to cute for words right?)

You may recall that I mentioned having a previous blog in my first post “Why am I doing this?” http://lissiedsviewfromhere.blogspot.com/2010/03/why-am-i-doing-this.html and how it lasted for almost a year. Now if you don’t find me fascinating now you wouldn’t be shocked to find out that that isn’t a new thing but in case anyone is interested, here are the posts you can read from that year and a half.

they are in reverse time order b/c that is how blogs post stuff

GOOD READING

Shakespeare’s Othello

In Othello, Shakespeare created a powerful drama of a marriage that begins with an attraction between the Moor Othello and the Venetian lady Desdemona, with their elopement and with strong mutual devotion that ends hastily with jealous rage and violent deaths. Shakespeare sets this story in the romantic world of the Mediterranean, moving the [...]

Read more

my best friend’s blog

My friend just got her own blog on today and you all should check it out. Why you may ask, do I recommend her? Well because she asked me to. I’m kidding of course; she didn’t ask me to help get the word out about her… yet. But seriously, she’s a really fun person to [...]

Read more

book review: CHANGING TIDES

During Summer break, Hudson Jones has come to Monterey, California, in search of answers to an unanswerable question. Claiming to be working on a senior dissertation, the ambitious graduate student believes he’s found a lost John Steinbeck novel called Changing Tides that seems to hint at the author’s love for his best friend, Ed “Doc” [...]

Read more

The great E> A> Poe

Poe is awesome. No matter how many times I read him, I get shivers. But more than being creepy, he makes you think. The “inner life” seems to be a recurring topic in the works of Edgar Allen Poe. Despite how different or similar his characters are there always seems to be something [...]

Read more



my first post

I am hoping that this blog can be a phantasmagorical mix of all different topics, which should explain the name”thisNthatwithatewist,” because quite frankly my interests aren’t just limited to one thing. I figure to start it off; I’ll post a review of one of my favorite books: Families: A Memoir and a Celebration

Wyatt Cooper [...]

Read more


TV

OH ANDY

It is official Anderson Cooper has lost his mind! This fact makes me very sad because I love him as a person and respect him as a journalist. He announced today, while visiting Regis and Kelly, that during his year of filming Planet in Peril two: Battle Lines he went diving with great white sharks. [...]

Read more

DEAR VH1

I love to give credit when credit is due and I love when I hear David Cook is winning things so you would think that I’d have been really excited when I opened my email today and saw David Cook and David Archuleta are to be listed on the VH1 “Hottest Hunks Under [...]

Read more

Michael Johns Update


Michael Johns might be the most talented person to ever come in eighth on American Idol (in fact I’d go as far as to say he’s the most talented not to make the finals.) Still, ever since the end of the American Idol tour in September, there hasn’t been much noise from the man who [...]

Read more

Elf

I was watching the movie Elf last night, that movie is so funny and amazing. It should seriously be added to the list of Holiday Classics like Rudolf the Red Nose Reindeer, Frosty the Snow Man, Charlie Brown’s Christmas, and How the Grinch Stole Christmas that we all watch year after year.

Will Farrell is [...]

Read more

UNTITLED

I have a new obsession. Everyone has a youtube video that they can’t get enough of and I’ve found mine. It’s a bunch of David Archuleta fans watching the results of the season finale of American Idol. I understand they were disappointed and upset, I would have been too but the way they react is [...]

Read more

Live with Anderson and Kelly

Anderson Cooper does not dance. He does not like to exercise on national television. He is hesitant to try anything new (food or beverage) as America watches and has on one occasion spit out Coke Blak because it tasted like a garbage juice concoction. These seem like the qualities of a very bad fill in [...]

Read more

The Muppet Show on DVD


Did you know that Miss Piggy was originally named Miss Piggy Lee, in honor of Peggy Lee? Did you know that every Guest on the Muppet Show was originally going to get a replica of themselves in Muppet form, but the tradition only lasted two episodes? More importantly, do you find this useless Trivia useful? [...]

Read more

I applied for a reality show…


I know right pathetic! But I have my reasons.

My first serious boyfriend, Michael, is about to become a priest. After him I dated Matt for six months, until his neurosis and self deprecation led me to break up with him. I was not yet 16. Since then my love life has been one disastrous [...]

Read more

Summer hiatus is finally over

I personally wish that summer could last forever: the swimming, the warm weather, the not being cold all the time. Summer is my favorite season by far. The problem is that all of the shows have giant cliff hangers in May and then there’s nothing about them until the fall. This is why I’m excited [...]

Read more

Tru Blood

I DON’T LIKE VAMPIRES. I know a lot of people do but I’m not really good with horror movies, and thus vampires aren’t really something that I’ve known as anything but monsters. However, I did allow my best friend to convince me to try out the show Tru Blood. Basically the premise is that, in [...]

Read more

Anderson Cooper and Ryan Seacrest

There really isn’t anything better than Ryan Seacrest interviewing Anderson Cooper. For one thing they are basically the same person from different circumstances; it’s like a science experience. Let me explain, because I know that is confusing.
Both are extremely hard workers who seem to never take a day off. Both are pale white guys [...]

Read more

Lohans

It’s been a hard week for Ali Lohan. First Anderson Cooper says that she looks like she 60 and now people are wondering if she had a boob job. She’s 14 or 15 by the way.

In case you missed it, Cooper was co hosting Regis and Kelly when he started talking about “Living Lohan,” [...]

Read more

For a Good Laugh…

For a good laugh, try watching the Olympics, particularly the gymnastics. Gymnastics is probably the most physically-contorting of all the events. Because of this, it is the funniest to watch and even funnier when they mess up. Wednesday night it seemed that every male gymnast screwed up a bit and everyone was falling. They fell [...]

Read more

*******these are from American Idols Live which i can only guess i put under TV because they are from the show

David Cook

David’s set is prefaced with Lazar lights and flashes of light spelling out his name. There is no doubt who American Idol thinks is the main attraction in this show. The Room literally rocks with anticipation. No one is sitting down. Cook appears via a spotlight as he shoots up onto the stage singing “Hello” [...]

Read more

David Archuleta

“Archie,” as the other American Idol contestants have come to call him, is really that cute. I have an affinity for him because he reminds me of a six year old I work with. I know that he will turn 18 this coming winter, but he doesn’t look like it. He’s just this sweet little [...]

Read more

Syesha Mercado

Syesha Mercado
In the few dark seconds that existed after Castro’s exit but before Mercado’s entrance, I came to a realization. There was nothing that stood out about Syesha Mercado to me. It wasn’t that I didn’t like her but at that moment; I couldn’t remember a damn thing she’d performed. I should’ve noticed there [...]

Read more

Jason Castro

Jason Castro
I’ve always thought Jason was more like a Muppet than a legitimate singer. That is not to say he isn’t a good singer or that I don’t find him entertaining. On the contrary, Muppets have sold millions of albums and have entertained me my entire life. So when I say that Jason Castro is [...]

Read more

Brooke White

Brooke White is the human equivalent of a hug. She is what it would be like if a Carebear were to become human. I mean this in the beat possible way, there is no way that she could ever get mad, at least I can’t imagine it.
She is too cute and sweet to be real. [...]

Read more

Carly Smithson

IN THE SHOW: During the season, I had a love hate/ relationship with Carly. I didn’t have a problem with her voice. In fact the Irish songbird has an excellent voice. I didn’t really understand my issue with her, in fact, until she was gone. Carly had previously released an album in Ireland and it bombed.
So [...]

Read more

Kristy Lee Cook

IN THE SHOW:
KLC probably wins the award for most times in the bottom 2/ 3 before actually being eliminated from the competition. While the blond country girl was never tops when it came to talent, I finally realized how she made it to the top 12 and even outlasted Michael Johns. The girl knows how [...]

Read more

Ramiele Malubay

OUTSIDE:I saw her before the show started and she is absolutely adorable. She’s such an itty-bitty thing and she is adorable. She wore purple outside and during the show, and tons of purple eye shadow. On most people that would look like a drag queen but on Rammi, it was endearing. After the show, we [...]

Read more

Chikezie

ChikezieI’ll admit that during the show he wasn’t my favorite performer of the season. To be honest, I didn’t have much of an opinion of him and before I knew it, he was off the show. Nothing about him stood out to me, positive or negative. However in person, he’s electric. He sang three songs, [...]

Read more

American Idols Live

So, for my birthday I was given the gift of music, specifically tickets (practically front row I might add!) for the American Idol’s Live Tour. I of course planned on sharing my experience with everyone here but, after experiencing the shear brilliance of it, I realized that it would be an unending post. Rather than [...]

Read more

*****ok back to TV and Movies

Chapter 27

I need to start watching comedies-lol.
So, having sent The History Boys back to Netflix, I went to Blockbuster to seek out something else to watch. I happened upon Chapter 27, the story of Mark David Chapman- John Lennon’s killer. I’m not usually into biopics about murderers but having heard Jarred Leto made such a [...]

Read more

the history boys

WARNING: IF YOU HAVEN’T SEEN THE HISTORY BOYS AND WANT TO, DON’T READ THIS. IT’S NOT EVEN A SPOILER- I’M GOING TO ACTUALLY EXPLAIN THE ENDING!
So I recently saw the movie The History Boys. It was very good and definitely worth of all the praise it got on Broadway and in the West End. It [...]

Read more

Danicng with Lance

Last week The New York Daily News reports that Lance Bass will be on next season’s Dancing With the Stars – the only question left is whether when the openly gay Bass gets paired off with one of the show’s dancers, will the dancer be a sexy male or a stylish female.
Here my two sense, [...]

Read more

Defending Anderson Cooper

Recently Anderson Cooper’s competition (On The Record With) Greta Van Susteren said: ‘You would think with all their marketing that Anderson Cooper was the only one who covered Katrina….we were there, all producers were there, all my colleagues were there…but guess what? So was everyone else in every news outlet in the nation!! The [...]

Read more

A Man Making Learning Fun

I’m sure every person has at least once in their lives has had a class that required they read dramas and more often than not it’s taught by some high school English teacher who doesn’t even like the plays. What a student in the predicament longs for more than anything, more than even the bell [...]

Read more

maybe it’s just me…

I know we live in an instant gratification world. We have instant coffee, we fast forward commercials, internet connections are at lightning speed, but I think we’ve gone too far with VH1’s special I LOVE THE Millennium.
I was a big fan of I LOVE THE 90’S and I LOVE THE 80’S.I even liked I [...]

Read more

Archie vs. Britney

I was watching a special about Britney Spears last night. I don’t really know why, I think I was too lazy to get the remote or maybe there was nothing on. Doesn’t matter, I was watching it.
Anyway, so they were talking about how her mother was a stage mom and all that, and how [...]

Read more

Comfortably Numb

So what would happen if nature caused havoc visible in our back yard instead of on the TV?

Read more

Why Kathy Griffin is the man!


I’ve always enjoyed Ms. G’s specials and was taken to see her live at my Alma-Ata SUNY Purchase for my 21st birthday. I love her say or do anything, no holds barred attitude. Anyway so her show, My Life On the D List premiered its 4th (?) season last night and it had a behind [...]

Read more

Baby Aiken

I wonder if Clay Aiken’s “Baby-mama” used to sit around wanting to have Barry Manilow’s babies one day. Sure it’s funny but my friends often praise a man they find attractive, or smart, or talented by stating they want to have that person’s babies. Wanting to give birth to someone so musically or acting [...]

Read more

THE MOLE RETURNS

In anticipation for the return of The Mole, next Monday on ABC, I have been watching the old episodes. The show, which originally aired circa 2000-2003, gained my attention last year when I stumbled upon the fact that Anderson Cooper, current CNN news-hottie, was the host of the first two installments.
A friend of [...]

Read more

OMG

As someone who has watched DH since episode one, I long ago stopped being surprised by what could happen on Wisteria Lane. Whether it’s trapping people in basements, mass murders in supermarkets, or cryptic notes the show constantly proves that they can push the limits of conventional wisdom (and even reality.) Cheesy, Over the top, and entertaining to be sure but when the promos tell me that I’ll be talking about it all summer, I sort of shrug. I’ll talk about it, but maybe for a day and if it’s really great a week. Then I don’t think about it again until the next episode.

Read more

Why David Cook Should Win AI

The 25 year old rocker, whose been compared to Daughtry, has given new life to the show by proving week after week that being an American Idol doesn’t mean you have to be a glorified Karaoke singer. He’s shown versatility and creativity when faced with the ominous task of performing Mariah Carey, Andrew Lloyd Webber, and worst of all Dolly Parton.

Read more


all nighter



Due to poor scheduling by one of the people I babysit for’s bosses, not only do I have to work at six today but I also was working until after midnight last night. Because of this I decided to stay awake the hours between jobs and just sleep when I got home at 830.

I’ve [...]

Read more

wanna try a gme?

My mother works for priests (it’s a semi- retirement home for the elderly ones mostly) and one of them sent her this game to play. Apparently he was trying to drive her crazy. I personally think it’s should be given as a penance for the really serious sins.

My mother took a week to figure [...]

Read more

important

The main difference between http:// and https:// is It’s all about

keeping you secure**

HTTP stands for HyperText Transport Protocol,

which is just a fancy way of saying it’s a protocol (a language, in
a manner of speaking)

for information to be passed back and forth between web servers and
clients.
The important thing is the letter S which makes the difference
between HTTP and HTTPS.

The S [...]

Read more

early mornings revisited

I understand the world doesn’t start at noon. For this reason, even though I don’t enjoy getting up at 530 in the morning to go babysit, I understand that people have jobs early in the morning- and I suppose I am now one of them.
I do it, not because I like it, but because [...]

Read more

Revisiting Childhood


I feel three years old in like the best way today.

So today I decided that I would wear pig tails in my hair. It’s not something uncommon for me to do since it gets my hair up and doesn’t pull on my head and cause headaches the way a pony tail can. However, I [...]

Read more

David C

I’m having David Cook withdrawal. I know that he appeared on a New Year’s Eve performance but it was just a quick version of “Light On.” Basically there’s been nothing new since December 13 or there about, when he performed his last live show.

I’ve been watching old episodes of American Idol which fills my [...]

Read more

In the spirit of the post holiday reality…


Twas the month after Christmas,
and all through the house,
Nothing would fit me,
not even a blouse.
The cookies I’d nibbled,
the chocolate I’d taste
At the holiday parties
had gone to my waist.

When I got on the scales
there arose such a number!
When I walked to the store
(less a walk than a lumber),
I’d remember the marvelous meals I’d prepared;
The gravies and [...]

Read more

YUM CHOCOLATE

So it’s after Christmas but there is a recipe that I felt like sharing for all those chocoholics out there


Ultimate Double Chocolate CookiesYield: 24 cookies

12 ounce(s) Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
11 1/2 ounce(s) 60% Cacao Bittersweet Chocolate Chips
6 tablespoon(s) unsalted butter
3 eggs
1 cup(s) sugar
1/3 cup(s) all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon(s) baking powder
1 cup(s) chopped walnuts


In double boiler over hot [...]

Read more

a poem

SO HERE’S ANOTHER POEM I WROTE, ENJOY.


Blank verse poem

He was so beautiful that summer
The sun lit his eyes like stars in the sky
We thought that it would always be that way
There was no way to know how wrong we were

The air turned cold and soon the winter came
Jingle bells began to chime all around town
The [...]

Read more

strange things

I just saw on E! News that there is a drag queen named Queen Jasmine who is teaching classes on how to walk in high heels, I could not have make that up if I tried. I suppose it is something that could come in handy if you never wore a pair and needed to [...]

Read more

Christmas Post

So last night was fun, as I knew it would be. My cousin’s boyfriend’s parents joined us and they come all the way from Ohio so it was interesting to have people who are kind of really different as they’d never really experienced this kind of group before (I suppose I mean loud Irish family [...]

Read more

Christmas Eve



So every year I go to my cousins’ house for Christmas Eve and I must say it really is nice to spend some time surrounded by so many loved ones, even if it is hell for a diet. Between cocktails and pasta I don’t think I want to weigh myself for a while, but I [...]

Read more

Christmas carols

I’m hoping this works.

In honor of the Christmas spirit, as the big day is the day after tomorrow already, I’m posting this chart that I received in an email today. It is a list of some of the best Christmas songs that we hear year after year. Just click on the song title** and [...]

Read more

Oreo bombs:

Here is a cookie sent in by reader not4ureyes2c


Take a whole package of Oreos and smash them in a large bowl. Get a box of cream cheese and mix the whole thing in with the oreos. Make sure it’s all mixed together really well. Let them cool in the fridge for a few hours, or [...]

Read more

Cookie of another kind

So Cookies have been a big topic of conversation this week (well that and my sinus infection) but I managed to forget another kind of Cookie. Yesterday was David Cook’s 26th birthday. It has been a great year for David and his family, what with the winning American Idol, the now Gold record David Cook [...]

Read more

More cookies

I want to start by saying that I’m feeling a lot better today. Also, as I stated earlier this week (or maybe last week) my family is very into making Christmas cookies and, even with my illness of late, I’ve been hard at work making all different types of them all week. That being said [...]

Read more

Good Tip

So as I’m sick and there is a snow storm outside I’m sort of stranded inside today. I really would like to go out and play around in the snow but it doesn’t seem like the best way to have a speedy recover (side note thank you for your well wishes and thoughts on zinc- [...]

Read more



TBC




No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...