Thursday, June 17, 2010

Phil Marshal Meets Chatty Cathy



Way back in April I mentioned English (via Oklahoma and Texas) singer Phil Marshall and how he was very graciously giving out free music. I have personally been wanting to see Marshall for over a year and have even gotten close a few times, only to have life intervene every time. I have attempted and failed to see him at several New York bars as well as a hotel in Washington D.C. I was really beginning to believe that it was my destiny to never see Phil until, at long last, and after a series of events rivaling that of a badly acted comedy I finally was privy to one of his show. Where you may ask? Well in the backyard of a fellow fan of course!**


Strange, perhaps but I feel it really is the greatest way to be introduced to Phil. There we were, maybe thirty of us all, circled around as he strummed he guitars and cooed his music. It was all very “Friends around the bon fire” vibe. Here are some pictures I snapped.







As for the Chatty Cathy thing, let me explain something; I am very shy. Once I get to know you I am a chatter bug and can talk your ear off for hours. I am not exaggerating about the shyness though, in my opinion the panic of calling people like the pizza shop goes beyond a tad timid. Therefore common sense suggests that I should have a severe almost phobia of walking over and talking to complete strangers, and I do. When at concerts, I am hardly the person striking up a conversation with my fellow patrons while waiting. No, that is not me I am the one standing quietly talking to my friend or friends that I came with hoping that I don’t seem like a snob.

That being said I don’t seem to have this problem with the actual artists. I’ve talked about my conversations with Ryan Star and there are countless others with other performers. Talking to Phil was no different. To break the ice I went over and apologized for staring at him but explained that he has a striking resemblance to my cousin-in-law (true.) This led to discussions about teaching oneself guitar (“Oh you’re a lefty like Cookie”) which, once he brought up David Cook, evolved into me saying how Cook stole bassist Monty Anderson from him (“Oh no Monty will always be mine!”) and laughing about my encounter with Anderson when I met him in Atlantic City (“He said that? Oh that is soooo Monty.”) I was even so at ease with him that I might have mentioned how a drummer he is going to perform with soon really gets around. I meant how in the year since I’ve heard of said drummer, he’s performed with about 6 acts but I also know what it sounds like and it didn’t escape Phil (“yeah that’s what she said!!)

I talk to the performers the way I do friends. It is strange phenomena that could be attributed to the fact that my chosen occupation is Entertainment Journalism or the fact that I went to an arts college so maybe I am most comfortable with those who create. I would credit alcohol, the social lubricator, except that I used to work for a radio station I was equally as comfortable (although not as joking) with acts including such as the Jonas Brothers. For the record I am not a drinker and have never been drunk however my mother once told me that she always can tell when I’ve had as little as one drink because I become Chatty Cathy. This, I am guessing explains the truly odd part of the evening.

After the performance was over I was feeling a bit uncomfortable surrounded by my fellow fans and was heading over to the hosts to thank them and leave. Mind you the fans were nothing but friendly and all of them have the same musical tastes as I do but I am socially awkward. However, as I was leaving a group of girls asked why I was leaving so soon and I decided to stay and chat (blame the wine I was sipping with Phil.) The next thing I know, I’m laughing with these girls and realizing that we have been to about 15 shows together and never met and I’m not socially awkward anymore. I don’t know where this girl who fits in with rock stars and laughs it up with strangers is but I like her and it makes me sad I can never meet her.





**If this sounds like something you want to do you actually can book Phil to do a show for you, any kind of show you want in fact. FULL DETAILS HERE


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...