Thursday, January 10, 2013

Hannibal was on last night

As a freshman in High school I became enthralled in the tale of Hannibal Lecter- that's right high school so about 14 or 15 years old. Weirdness of this aside, I do not recall what led to me getting into the stories but I read all three novels that existed at the time: RED DRAGON, SILENCE OF THE LAMBS, and HANNIBAL and remember begging my parents to take me to see the movie or HANNIBAL in theaters. While channel surfing last night I saw that the film was on an decided to watch it and was reminded of something that really bothered me about the movie, the ending. I am not the person who sits in a movie and tends to nitpick every changed detail when a story goes from page to screen but to completely change the ending is ridiculous. In the book Clarice and Hannibal end up living "Happily Ever After" so to speak after Lecter saves her life and in the film she runs away from his house after he nurses her back to health. She never tells anyone where he is, allowing him to continue to live outside of jail but still not okay. One of the greatest kind of love stories, in my opinion is an odd love stories or loves that need to overcome obstacles. I guess it stems from loving Beauty and The Beast as a child. The movie Hannibal is all right but I was outraged when I learned the ending was changed from that of the book. Friends considered me crazy but the romantic in me felt the only logical ending was when Hannibal Lecter and Agent Clarice Starling end up living a life of love together. I didn’t care that he was a cannibal or one of the FBI’s 10 most wanted men, he loved her and she loved him, and hinting at it but having Clarice come to her senses wasn’t enough for me and it still isn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...