Thursday, June 7, 2012

Snow White and the Huntsman

Even though I go to the movie theater about once a week and watch them all the time, it is rather rare for me to review movies not starring Heath Ledger or created by Terry Gilliam but for this one I'll make an exception. I find myself to be a cinephile in training (recent discovery) but please don't expect this to be some pretentious piece. I promise to leave out any comparisons to other Fairy Tale turned action movie (for now.) It is a budding sub-genre but not either topic I want to discuss.
#1-Cast
Ok let's get this over with; like a bandaid maybe it'll hurt less if it goes fast. Kristin Stewart didn't suck (no vampire movie pun intended.) Don't misunderstand she wasn't great and I really can't picture her as the fairest of any land let alone one with Charlize but she acted slightly alive with a touch of emotion which is big for her.

Speaking of the Ms. Theron, she portrayed the evil queen brilliantly. She acted just as hard as if she was trying to get her second Oscar which is how it should be. Actors should give their all regardless of genre or who is watching, audiences deserve that.
The Huntsman was played by Chris Hemsworth. In a perfect world, Chris Hemsworth would be my fiance (well actually in a perfect world Chris would be the guy I turn down while dating David Cook .) Unfortunately, as I've learned from the Twilight franchise and Ke$ha being popular, all movies not either starring Heath Ledger and/ or being directed by Terry Gilliam, Monty Python no longer working together, and the invention of heelies this is not my perfect world. Hemsworth is married and has a baby but he's sexy as nobody's business and has certain Ledger-like acting skills. He makes the two dimensional Huntsman deep by showing true pain about looking his wife and enacting disdain at the idea of being the hero.
#2 Message of the movie
Everyone knows the story of Snow White. She is basically another damsel in distress like all of the princesses are. I know that women are considered dainty and I know I would want a man saving my life but little girls should know that women can be the hero.
This time around, after the Huntsman wakes Snow with a kiss, she leads the army to the castle and kills the queen herself! You go girl!! Then she is crowded Queen and while The Huntsman and her childhood crush are in attendance, she doesn't appear to be with either of them and will be ruling her kingdom solo.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...