Wednesday, November 30, 2011

“If you want to make God laugh, tell him about your plans.”

Going into 2008 my plans were clear...
*Manage to not let my nerves get the best of me until I graduated SUNY Purchase
*As a reward for being a hard working student since the age of 4, I would take the summer off
*Fall 2008 get first Journalism related job and proceed to work until either I die, or leave to raise children

It was simple, realistic, and all and all a rather solid life plan. Sure there were flights of fantasy that I hoped would come up as a result of this path but the path itself was doable. Because, remember this was 2008, it was a different world. Newspapers made money, the economy hadn't collapsed yet, and David Cook was just a bartender in Oklahoma.


Going into 2009, it was beginning to look like a full year off before starting a job, which I didn't quite mind because I was having a rather fun time being "Fun-employed" and the new President promised change so I was sure my perfect job was waiting around the corner. I was to be fulfilled in my job, content with my small dent on the world, somehow enriching at least one life in some little way or another. Which brings me to two years ago today; my first day as GiGi's nanny.


I never thought, entering 2012 that this is where I would be but the last two years has brought me much more than just a job, I feel like I gained new family. GiGi and her parents make me feel like I am valued and everyday that I come to work I feel loved. It might not be exposing the world to earth shattering news or helping a celebrity share the intimate details of whatever it is will get them a headline but, then again, chasing politicians on campaign trails and asking about Justin Bieber's love child would never have provided the fulfillment I feel seeing GiGi growing up into the wonderful little lady she is becoming and knowing, however miniscule my part is, that I might have somehow helped her become that.


I love my job and in the end, isn't that the most important thing there is?

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...