Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Can Gwyneth Paltrow Go Away Now?

Don’t get me wrong, Gwyneth is a good actress.

I can totally understand why she won the Oscar for SHAKESPEARE IN LOVE because she did deserve one. She a vital part of THE TALENTED MR. RIPLEY, which is a movie that I really do love but can only watch every other year because of how amazingly creepy Matt Damon was and she co-star with Ben Affleck in the (probably bomb) Rom-Com BOUNCE, which has a refreshing and heartbreaking spin on the often over played formula “Guy and girl fall, loose each other over a lie or failure of truth telling” get each other back.” Similarly, even though I don’t care for SHALLOW HAL, I appreciated the fact that she could be funny, unfortunately, that is when the problems with her started for me.


She started to complain about the fat suit she had to wear to play the overweight character and over the years her whinny voice continued to bother me. There was always something for her to complain about or be pompous over. The she married COLDPLAY front man Chris Martin and started acting British. I don’t really know how to explain this but it’s that same thing Madonna does, and it just really irks me. Still, I liked her as an actress and was looking forward to her new movie COUNTRY STRONG.

Much like her movie about a decade ago, DUETS, the role required her to sing, unlike that film it led to promotional stuff that she performed on. First it was a role on Musical Comedy TV show GLEE, which made sense because it requires actors who can sing, which is what Paltrow is. However, as the awards season got underway, her performances continued and, as she pranced around on the GRAMMY’S, performing a duet with Ce Lo it occurred to me that she actually believes that being a singer’s wife makes her a singer too. I guess this follows the logic that being with Heath Ledger and Brad Pitt helped Michelle Williams and Angelina Jole become A-list actors but they were actors to begin with. Terry Gilliam’s makeup artist wife doesn’t try to direct his films and Marilyn Monroe never tried to play for the Yankees.

So I’ve made peace with the idea that sooner than later Mrs. Martin is going to embarrass herself by releasing an album. Who knows, it might even sell well, people buy auto tuned crap all the time, but now she’s released a cookbook and they think she wants to be the next Martha Stewart. Now, it might be good because I’m not saying that she can’t cook, I’m just saying I really don’t care if she can. My mother is a great cook but it doesn’t mean she has to make money off of it and we don’t have Power Couple money, trust me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...