Thursday, November 18, 2010

DCTR two years later


Two years ago today, was a very powerful and emotional day for me. After waiting six months, David Cook was releasing his self titled album. Getting up when it was still dark to line up at the(no longer with us) Virgin Megastore in Time Square (Now the Disney Store) in order to be one of the first people to own the album might seem a bit extreme but it meant that I would get a ticket to the album release Party that night. Sure I had seen David Cook and the (not yet at the time named) Anthemic (original members) a week before at a benefit but this was a night to be cherished, and I had to be a part of it. I also had something important to talk to Cook about, and it couldn’t wait. The Following is what I wrote the following morning:


Thanking David Cook

Tonight I managed to get into the Hard Rock CafĂ© to see David Cook’s exclusive performance for the first something-hundred people to buy his album, and when autograph time came I figured I found a chance to thank him for helping me through my aunt’s illness with his music. As I neared the table I felt like I was going to throw up I was shaking so much, I didn’t want to cry and I didn’t want to pass out.

When I handed him the album and he looked up I just spewed out, “David, you can’t imagine how much your music means to me. My aunt was diagnosed with cancer this past March and she died Sunday and your music, some of the lyrics are almost straight out of my head, and I don’t mean to say that it’s a good thing and I’m so sorry for you”

David cuts me off: ” no no it’s ok”

me: “and I mean, it’s just so nice to know there is someone else out there who just gets it”

At this point we both have tears in our eyes, my BFF says that she’s going to cry, and his mother is crying behind us.
He stands up and reaches across the table and says: “oh come here” and grabs me in the biggest bear hug that felt like it lasted forever. After we let go (and he waited for me to let go first which I felt was so sweet) I told him: the funeral is tomorrow but I just had to come down here and tell you how much your music means to me,” and he looks at me with that beautiful face (that BFF said had a genuine look of sadness) and says “that you so much for coming down here and for sharing that.”


That moment will always stick with me, not because he was this amazing singer but because he gave me what I needed more than I even knew in that hug.



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...