Thursday, August 15, 2013

Fire down the block

Last night, or should I say early this morning, it sounded like an air raid was above my house.  By that point there had been about an hour's worth of sirens- both police and fire- zooming around the neighborhood.  It's New York so the sound isn't really all that uncommon and there is an ambulance station a few blocks away so as long as I don't see the lights flashing by the window, it doesn't really phase me. Helicopters, however, get my attention and even more so when there are no search lights lighting up the streets.

Looking out the window I found the bottom of my block was nothing but a cluster of flashing lights. The two ladies next door were heading toward the chaos and yelled up that it was a fire, "A lot was burning."  Clearly Graham needed to go for a midnight walk so I through a sweatshirt over my pajamas and headed towards the sirens. The avenue was covered in rescue vehicles in every direction. Apparently around 11pm fire started in one of the twenty eight local bars- Behan's Pub and had spread to Emerald Pharmacy next door. It took fire fighters over two hours to subdo. Seven People, six of them fire fighters, were treated at hospital but the injuries weren't serious. And as if this wasn't enough excitement for one neighborhood, rumor has it the bar was a drug cover because apparently the Irish were playing Breaking Bad the home game.

*Though I took photos, all of these are courtesy of Eye Witness News.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...